Well, yesterday was a big day! Thanks to the Icefield Discovery pilot, Tom, we were able to get our entire team out of the field over a 24 hour period. What a successful season! General stats are as follows:
- 81 meters of ice core drilled (one 64 m core and one 17 m core)
- 40+ km of ice-penetrating radar to measure ice thicknesses
- 40+ km of GPR to measure shallow horizons for recent snow accumulation studies
- 20 short-term ice flow velocity stakes measured
- Dozens of caramelo bars, snickers bars, and coffee crisp bars eaten
- About a 1 pound bottle of Sriracha Hot sauce consumed (mostly by Dom!)
- Some other crazy Habanero hot sauce consumed by Steve!
- A very healthy and happy smiling team coming out of the field!
I’ll write more about our experiences and research soon but, a video (courtesy of Justin’s camera work) and photos (courtesy of Karl and myself) are worth a thousand words. Here are some teasers to start with. Enjoy!
Congrats on a successful season! just curious on what drill you used. Onto Hunter!
Hi Mark! Thanks for the comment. The drill we used for the 60 m core was a Stamfli Swiss 3″ drill. for the 17 m core we used a Stamfli Swiss 2″ drill. Both worked great! Hope all is well back in New Hampshire!